E-visa has been the talk of Vietnamese authorities for the last two years. After a few delays due to the approval process of various administrations within the government, e-visa have been officially introduced on February 1, 2017.
Commenting on the new facility for travellers, Director General of the Viet Nam National Administration of Tourism Nguyen Van Tuan said the policy will make it easier for overseas visitors to enter Vietnam.
To apply for e-visas, foreign citizens must complete a form which is available on two separate websites (one in Vietnamese at http://www.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn and the other in English at http://www.immigration.gov.vn) administered by the Ministry of Public Security. After which applicants will receive an application code and be prompted to pay a non-refundable fee online. It normally takes three working days for tourists to be informed if their applications have been approved or not. Citizens of 40 countries are for the time being eligible for the e-visa procedure.
For the time being, e-visa is only valid for a 30-day single-entry tourist visa. Countries which can get a free visa on arrivals (such as half a dozen European countries for a validity of 15 days) still benefit from that facility.
Providing e-visas is a step in the right direction, but ultimately, not enough to help Vietnam’s tourism compete with other countries in the region, said Vice President of the Vietnam Tourism Association Vu The Binh. He suggested more policies such as visa exemptions, tourism promotion, and human resources development to attract more international tourists.
List of the 40 countries eligible for e-visa:
1. Argentina 11. Czech Republic 21. Kazakhstan 31. Romania
2. Armenia 12. Germany 22. Korea (South) 32. Russia
3. Azerbaijan 13. Denmark 23. Luxembourg 33. Slovakia
4. Bulgaria 14. Finland 24. Myanmar 34. Spain
5. Belarus 15. France 25. Mongolia 35. Sweden
6. Brunei 16. Greece 26. Norway 36. Timor Leste
7. Chile 17. Hungary 27. Panama 37. Uruguay
8. China 18. Ireland 28. Peru 38. United Kingdom
9. Colombia 19. Italy 29. Philippines 39. United States of America
10. Cuba 20. Japan 30. Poland 40. Venezuela
Airports serving as an entry point for travellers with an e-visa:
1. Hanoi-Noi Bai international airport
2. Ho Chi Minh City- Tan Son Nhat international airport
3. Cam Ranh/Nha Trang International airport in Nha Trang city
4. Danang international Airport
5. Haiphong- Cat Bi international airport
6. Can Tho International Airport
7. Phu Quoc International airport
8. Hue-Phu Bai Airport