Many new routes were recently opened or are due to open soon. Here is a round-up of the latest opening in ASEAN. Three new long haul routes are now linking ASEAN destinations to Athens, Istanbul and Stockholm. Not to forget a new carrier to Brunei, a true event for the tiny Sultanate!
- 20/06/2017 Scoot Singapore-Athens Boeing 787-9
The most exciting one is certainly yesterday launching of Scoot first flight to Europe, linking Singapore to Athens. The low cost, long haul subsidiary of Singapore Airlines flies four times weekly between both cities until September 10 with a Boeing 787 Dreamliner (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday). From September 12, the carrier will reduce frequencies to three weekly services (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). Scoot is for the time being the only Southeast Asian carrier flying to the Greek capital after both Thai Airways International and Singapore Airlines pulled out from Greece in the wake of the economic crisis of 2008, which saw Greece GDP contracting by 25% since 2009.
- 01/04/2017 Kunming Airlines Hat Yai-Kunming Boeing 737-800
Kunming Airlines inaugurated its first international route by flying to Hat Yai in Southern Thailand. The airline offers three weekly flights every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- 30/05/2017 Sichuan Airlines Vientiane-Kunming Airbus A320
Three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) are linking Vientiane to Kunming in Yunnan. In return, Lao Airlines announced to fly by the end of June between Vientiane and Chongqing twice a week but no confirmation of a timetable has been so far provided by Laos national carrier.
- 30/05/2017 Singapore Airlines Singapore-Stockholm via Moscow Airbus A350
This is the first Singapore Airlines flight to Sweden via Moscow with five weekly services. The carrier already flies daily to Copenhagen.
- 31/05/2017 Vietjet Danang-Seoul Incheon Airbus A320
The opening of Terminal 2 in Danang was an opportunity for Vietjet to launch its new daily flight to Seoul out of the Central Vietnamese metropolis. The airline is also boosting its frequencies between Hanoi and Seoul with a second daily flight from August 2, 2017 in an Airbus A320.
- 09/06/2017 Thai AirAsia Bangkok Don Mueang-Danang Airbus A320
Low cost carrier Thai AirAsia opened a daily flight linking Bangkok to Danang, the third Vietnamese destination of the Bangkok-based carrier.
- 10/06/2017 Batik Air Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur Airbus A320
Batik Air, the premium airline of Lion Air is joining sister carriers Malindo Air and Lion Air to serve Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur. The airline offers a daily frequency.
- 21/06/2017 Batik Air Denpasar-Perth Airbus A320
Batik Air launches two daily flights in Airbus A320 linking Denpasar in Bali to Perth in Western Australia.
- 22/06/2017 Malindo Air Penang-Singapore Boeing 737-800
Indonesian-Malaysian joint venture Malindo inaugurates a daily frequency between Penang and Singapore.
- 08/07/2017 Lucky Air Bandar Sri Begawan-Kunming Airbus A320
It is rare enough to be highlighted. Brunei is getting a new carrier, the first ever from China PRC with low cost Lucky Air launching twice weekly flights (Tuesday and Saturday) to Bandar Sri Begawan.
- 17/07/2017 Turkish Airlines Phuket-Istanbul Airbus A330-300
Turkish Airlines opens its second destination in Thailand with four weekly services from Istanbul Ataturk International to Phuket International. Flights are scheduled out of Phuket on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.
- 02/07/2017 Thai Lion Air Chiang Mai-Guangzhou Boeing 737-800
- 02/07/2017 Thai Lion Air Chiang Rai-Changsha Boeing 737-800
Thai Lion Air continues to expand its network out of Northern Thailand with four weekly services from both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai to Mainland China.
- 11/08/2017 Thai AirAsia Bangkok Don Mueang-Male Airbus A320
Thai AirAsia is due to start flying daily from Bangkok to the Maldives competiting with Bangkok Airways on this attractive route. Prices would start from THB 1,900 one way, a fraction of the price charged by competition.
- 31/08/2017 Vietjet Hanoi-Yangon Airbus A320
Vietjet continues to densify its network out of Hanoi. After Hanoi-Siem Reap in March, the carrier will offer a daily frequency between both capitals of the Greater Mekong Sub-region from the end of August.