Kuala Lumpur First Pedestrian City Walk Opened

Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, shopping, communities, attractions

Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry Federal Territories director Ahmad Alsraf Ahmad Mokhtar with Desa Sejati Sdn Bhd Managing Directork Judy Ng at inaugural

KL Citywalk is the nation’s first street arcade to cater to directly address the needs of the surrounding communities in the Golden Triangle with an eco-friendly, culturally relevant public space.

Kuala Lumpur Citywalk (KLCW), a 416m urban street arcade located within Kuala Lumpur’s Golden Triangle, was officially launched after undergoing a complete revamp. The pedestrian-friendly covered walk is sandwiched between Jalan P. Ramlee, Jalan Perak and Jalan Pinang.

It is also accessible via the skybridge linking Pavilion Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, forming an “arterial link” between these two hotspots.

KLCW features about 80% food and beverage (F&B) shops, while the remaining 20% are service outlets including a money changer, a travel agency and a souvenir shop.

KLCW is divided into three different sections. Its front section, called The Boardwalk, comprises cafes with terraced seating and art installations scattered throughout the stretch. The middle area features Jenerator, a 743sq m modern events space that can accommodate between 200 and 300 people. The other end is Eat Street, an urban food court fashioned out of repurposed cargo containers dedicated to local cuisines and food-to-go.

Containers are being turned in street art, turning it also into an attractive destination for art lovers. Healthy food options are also provided following the trend for locals and tourists alike after authentic eateries providing organic and light, savoury food.

KLCW’s tagline “Connecting KL” reflects its aim to provide a safe passage for pedestrians while also serving as a hospitality space for locals and tourists.

Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry Federal Territories director Ahmad Alsraf Ahmad Mokhtar highlighted that the new urban attraction will hopefully become one of the most visited places by tourists in town ahead of the launching of Visit Year Malaysia 2020.

“We are thinking of involving tour companies to bring tour groups and have meals at our event space for example, which can fit about 30 tables for big groups,” explained  Judy Ng, managing director of Desa Sejati Sdn Bhd, the company behind KLCW. at the pedestrian street walk grand launch.

“It is a street ‘made by Malaysians, for Malaysians’. Tenants were carefully curated to cater to the needs and tastes of the community, mainly the office crowd and tourists,” she stressed further. Some 18,000 to 20,000 people pass every week on average at KLCW.