A spectacular fire at Central World shopping mall on Wednesday was fortunately limited although Central Pattana company – the complex owner- had to mourn the loss of two employees. The mall reopened on Thursday while the hotel did not close its doors at all…
The story made headlines all across the world. On Wednesday afternoon, fire started on the building’s eighth floor. The shopping centre complex is one of the most popular in Bangkok as it is located in the commercial heart of the Thai capital. The complex not only comprises the huge shopping mall with some 600 shops and restaurants but also the Centara Grand Hotel and Convention Centre, a popular venue for foreign visitors.
The fire was brought under control after 30 minutes but the mall was then closed as agents of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) checked the safety of the complex. Two employees perished while 20 other people were injured
After inspection, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) told yesterday to Thai media that the fire had been started by the combustion of gas in the mall’s waste-treatment facility on B2 floor, which then spread to the eighth floor via an air vent. However, the fire did not cause substantial damage to the mall. “After inspecting CentralWorld, it was found that the fire was too small and did not burn for long enough to affect the inside of the concrete structure, so the building is considered safe to open to the public again,” Siriwat Chaichana, an adviser to EIT explained to media.
Central World was declared safe and reopen to the public on Friday, just on time to welcome dwellers of Songkran, Thailand new year. The hotel did not suffer any damage and continued to operate as usual. The hotel was evacuated for a couple of hours as a precautionary measure. The hotel remained vacated until authorities declared the complex fully safe.